Date posted: 07/11/2017
The Job Developer is responsible for assisting clients towards obtaining competitive employment that is consistent with their vocational goals. The Job Developer helps clients think about long-term employment goals, work history, strengths, personal culture (as defined by each person), justice involvement, and other factors that relate to a current vocational goal.
The Job Developer will be trained to utilize the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) evidence-based model to supported employment. The Job Developer will additionally be formally trained to practice Motivational Interviewing. The Job Developer will work as a member of an interdisciplinary team in supportive housing serving individuals impacted by serious mental illness, substance use, co-occurring disorders and homelessness. The Job Developer will report to the IPS Supervisor. This position is exempt.
- Maintain a caseload of 20 adults with self-identified interest in employment.
- Conduct job development and job search activities directed toward positions that are individualized to the interests and uniqueness of the people on his/her caseload, following the principles and procedures of IPS for approximately 65% of the work week.
- Conducts at least six employer contacts with hiring managers each week to learn about businesses and employer needs, to talk about specific clients who are looking for work and/or to talk about employer services offered by the IPS program.
- Is responsible for a minimum of 12 job starts each year after the first year of employment.
- Provides individualized follow-along supports to assist clients in maintaining employment. Provides frequent in-person supports during the first month of a new job and at least monthly after working steadily as desired by clients.
- Work closely with case management staff to develop an integrated employment model.
- Guide clients through employment process, assisting with all facets of job search, placement and ongoing employment retention.
- Assist clients with developing appropriate social skills and work habits.
- Educate clients about how their benefits will be affected by earned income.
- Educate clients regarding the choice to disclose one’s disability to the employer.
- Participate in weekly meetings with mental health services staff to coordinate services and generate ideas to help clients achieve their education and employment goals.
- Attend trainings and staff meetings, as required.
- Document all client work in confidential electronic records.
- Complete reports as directed by supervisor.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
- Master’s Degree preferred with a focus on Education, Rehabilitation Counseling or Human Services; Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years’ experience providing direct service to populations impacted by HIV/AIDS, mental illness, substance abuse and homelessness is required.
- Ideal candidate must have an outgoing personality with a sales mentality and be able to confidently communicate with employer contacts. S/he must also be able to empathize with clients’ struggles and challenges.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent writing ability, demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to perform complex tasks with limited supervision.
- Experience with employment services and/or workforce development preferred.
- Must possess the ability to work independently and successfully in a start-up operation.
- Must be flexible and be willing to travel to various locations.
LOCATION: New York, NY
WORK SCHEDULE: The Job Developer position is located in New York City. This position requires a flexible schedule to meet the needs of clients and employers in the community. This may involve flexible evening hours when applicable, totaling 35 hours per week.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates being considered for the position must sign a release form for Lantern Community Services to perform a criminal background check. Lantern Community Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.