Date posted: 1/17/2017
Lantern Community Services provides innovative social services to over 1,500 people living in our 14 supportive housing residences across New York City. Twenty years ago, we pioneered supportive housing for people living with HIV/AIDS, and we continue lead our field as one of the City’s largest providers for youth aging out of foster care. When you join Lantern, you join an organization at the vanguard of using evidence-based practices in supportive housing. Our evidence-based model prioritizes high quality staff training delivered by experts, and ongoing monitoring and support to ensure programs are properly implemented and deliver the best possible outcomes for our clients. Our many programs address our clients’ diverse needs – health, employment, education, nutrition, fitness, and the arts – and champion the independence and well-being of New Yorkers who are impacted by homelessness.
Lantern is seeking a Staff Accountant to report to the Controller. With oversight of an assigned portfolio of government grants, the Staff Accountant will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage the invoicing and budget to actual reporting for an assigned portfolio, including any other necessary accounting operations and functions.
- Prepare variance analysis and work with the Controller to prepare required modifications.
- Oversee compliance with all grant financial requirements.
- Prepare back up for external audit requests in a timely manner.
- Perform general ledger account analysis and expense allocation. Carefully monitor actual vs. budgetary expenditures.
- Maintain electronic and paper reporting back up per organization protocol.
- Serve as back up for payroll and accounts payable if needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have prior experience working in a nonprofit organization with government funders, and have at least 1-3 years of applicable experience. S/he will have initiative, the ability to work well under pressure, a very high level of Microsoft Office proficiency (with the ability to learn new technologies and databases) and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team to complete projects in a timely manner. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
- Prior experience with government contract compliance
- Strong Excel skills
- Previous experience with QuickBooks preferred
LOCATION: Main Office, Manhattan
WORK SCHEDULE: Full time, Monday to Friday.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Candidates being considered for the position must sign a release form for Lantern Community Services to perform a criminal background check. Lantern Community Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.